Termites can enter your home through the ground or by air. Subterranean termites whose colonies are known to be underground can get inside your house through its foundation. They can build mud tunnels in your foundation walls.
Drywood termites, on the other hand, look for a wooden crevice inside your home where they will go onto shedding their wings, carve their nest, and start laying eggs to establish their colony.
Let’s go over some ways you can identify a termite infestation before it becomes worse and some tips on how to get rid of them naturally.
Look Out for the Signs of a Termite Infestation
Termites can cause severe structural damage to your home. Most homeowners don’t even know of their presence until significant damage has been done. Some ways you can discover if your home is infested with termites include:
- Looking at exposed wood to see if it has hollow spots
- Identifying termite swarms
- Finding shed wings of swarmers around your house
- Spotting termite droppings
- Noticing bubbling paint or swollen floors around your property
Getting Rid of Termites
You need to detect a termite infestation early on so you can get rid of them effectively and prevent them from doing extensive damage. If you aren’t keen on opting for a chemical termite
treatment, you can consider some natural ways of removing these harmful pests from your
Let’s take a look at some steps you can take if you’re considering natural termite control:
- Since mulch is known to be an ideal food source for them, you should remove it from around your home to keep termites from entering your living space in the first
- Bright sunlight is also typically harmful to termites, so it’s advisable to clear away any
landscaping or roots to expose a colony. Exposing infested wooden structures to direct sunlight is also recommended.
- Try using termite predators like parasitic nematodes that feed on termites and leave your wood
Although the above mentioned tips may prove to be effective for a minor termite problem, they won’t work as well for severe infestations. For pest control in CT, get in touch with us at CT Pest Solutions and we’ll take care of any pest problems in your home right away!